A course map is a detailed plan that helps both students and instructors understand what to expect from a course, and how to meet those expectations. A good course map helps instructors align the course goals with the assignments, assessments and activities created for the course and ensure that they are an effective way to help students meet learning objectives.
Define the Course Outcomes First
Clearly defining your course goals and outcomes is the first step in creating a course map. A good way to get started is to consider what you think your students should be able to do by the time the course is over.
- Dr. Vicki Carauna: How a Course Map Puts You on Track for Better Learning Outcomes
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: Designing your Course
- Beth Apodaca (Quality Matters): Map Your Way to a Quality Course – Course Mapping
- Florida Institute of Technology: Course Mapping Template (.pdf)
- Roxanne Beckham et. al. (2017): Course Mapping: Expectations Visualized (.pdf)