Florida CourseShare is an initiative that uses Canvas Commons for sharing course materials created and donated by instructors from across the Florida State University System. These digital course assets can be used in part, or in full, as a high quality and economical starting point for course development or to meet critical curricular needs during times of emergency.
How it Works
- Faculty choose which items to donate. Many types of material can be contributed, including:
- Content Modules
- Even Full Courses!
- Material is Reviewed for Quality
Instructors work with their institution to initiate a Florida Quality Course Design Review using Quality Matters or standards that have completed the Institutional Equivalency Process. Courses selected to participate in Florida CourseShare must earn a High-Quality designation.
- Faculty work with the instructional design team at their institution to prepare materials for upload to Canvas Commons.
- Appropriate keywords are selected in order to facilitate effective search and discovery of the materials.
- Faculty select their desired Creative Commons license.
- The institution’s instructional design team uploads the materials to Canvas Commons where it can be downloaded by other instructors.
Using CourseShare Materials
State University System Schools can download Florida CourseShare materials from Canvas Commons.
- Log into your Canvas account.
- Click the “Commons” button in the far left menu.
- Click the “Filter” button in the upper right corner.
- Choose “Florida CourseShare” from the “Shared With” list.
- Click the name of a resource to preview the material.
- Click the Import/Download button to the far right to import it into your course.
The Canvas Commons can identify how many times materials are downloaded. Usage will be tracked, and evidence of impact will be provided to faculty contributors who can include this information with promotion and tenure materials.
To learn how to access or donate resources, contact Micah Jenkins or the Florida CourseShare Advisory Board member on your campus (pdf). Many thanks to the pioneer contributors who are listed on the Florida CourseShare Honorees page.