Studying Abroad Overview
Studying abroad is more than just sightseeing! These programs give students the opportunity to see the world and experience new cultures all while furthering their educational goals. Students who study abroad report increased gains in self-confidence, academic achievement and intercultural development.
Administer Programs that are Academically Sound
Students should be able to draw clear connections between their experiences and the study abroad curriculum.
Prepare Students Ahead of Time
Address housing, travel arrangements, academic expectations, safety concerns, and cultural considerations well before departure.
- Arizona State University Study Abroad Office: Tips for Developing a Successful Study Abroad Program
- Institute for the International Education of Students (iesabroad.org): The IES Abroad Map for Study Abroad Programs
- University of Georgia Study Abroad Office: USG Handbook for Developing and Maintaining Study Abroad Programs
- UF/IFAS Global Education Lab https://www.globaleducationlab.org/
- Mary Rodriguez (2010): Identifying Best Practices for a Successful Study Abroad Program (.pdf)
- Michael Tarrant, Donald Rubin, and Lee Stoner (2013): The Added Value of Study Abroad
- Daniel Sachau, Niel Brasher and Scott Fee (2010): Three Models for Short-Term Study Abroad