Domestic study away programs offer students who opt out of international study abroad programs the opportunity to gain important cultural and academic experiences all without leaving the United States.
Keep Costs Down
Many students who opt for domestic study away programs do so because traditional study abroad programs are cost prohibitive. Try to strike a balance between affordable and academically enriching.
Strike a balance between activities
Students who participate in domestic study away programs report wanting to engage in a range of activities that further their political, social growth as well as their academic growth.
- Kasha M. Klinegores (University of South Carolina): Domestic Study Away: Overview and Benefits of Cultural Exploration
- Tyson Schritter: Get All the Benefits of Study Abroad Without a Passport
- Karin Fischer: Why Global Education Doesn’t Have to Mean Going Abroad (pdf)
- Neal Sobania & Larry A. Braskamp (2009): Study Abroad or Study Away: It’s’ not Merely Semantics (pdf)
- Donald Mitchell Jr. & Dmitri C. Westbrook (2016): Developing Multicultural Competence for Preparing Student Affairs Professionals Through a Study Away Program
- Courtney Meyers & Shannon Arnold (2016): Student Expectations and Reflections of a Study Away Course Experience to Washington, D.C.