Office hours provide students the opportunity to ask in-depth questions and explore topics of confusion or interest that might not be addressed in class. Establish a few guidelines (e.g. reason for visit, how much time is needed, etc.) to ensure office visits are productive. Office hours should be posted in the syllabus and office door.
Take notes, jot down names, phrases, and other details of the conversation to reference for future meetings.
Students often ask questions related to majors, internships, and other career opportunities. Sharing your own experience can be helpful.
- Margaret Walsh (Faculty Focus): How to Make the Most of Your Office Hours
- Maryellen Weimer (Faculty Focus): Office Hours Redux
- Maryellen Weimer (Faculty Focus): Office Hours Alternative Resonates with Students
- University of Florida: Online Course Netiquette Guidelines
- Maryellen Weimer (Faculty Focus): Why Students Don’t Attend Office Hours
- L Li & JP Pitts (2009): Does it really matter? Using Virtual Office Hours to Enhance Student-Faculty Interaction.